Friday, May 3, 2013

5 Questions with Abbie Yatsko

Ithaca Journal

Abbey Yatsko finished 18th in the 300 meters and 29th in the 55-meter dash at the state indoor meet.
Abbey Yatsko finished 18th in the 300 meters and 29th in the 55-meter dash at the state indoor meet.

DRYDEN — Abbey Yatsko is not wasting any time on the Dryden track and field team.
Despite being just a freshman, Yatsko has already broken five school records in her two seasons of varsity competition. This past weekend, at the Dan Fravil Ithaca Relays, she and her Dryden teammates broke a pair of school relay records.
Over the winter, she competed in the state indoor track championships, placing 18th in the 300 meters (42.21 seconds) and 29th in the 55-meter dash (7.62).
Yatsko’s success is not all that surprising since she grew up around the sport. Her father, Chris, was a runner, but she is exceeding usual expectations for freshmen at the high school level. She carries herself with confidence and fits in well on the team, too.
“I respect the older kids, but I feel like they are OK with me,” Yatsko said with a laugh.
She hopes to keep breaking records, and she has plenty of time to do it. In this week’s edition of “Five Questions,” we ask Yatsko about her favorite activities, who she looks up to and what she hopes to achieve in track and field:
Why do you enjoy track and field?
My dad was a runner, so it has always been a thing in our family. I used to do Junior Olympics at Ithaca, and then I started running modified in seventh grade and varsity in eighth grade.
Since you are just a freshman, what are some things you hope to improve on in the next few years?
I really just want to keep improving my times. I want to chase after school records.
Is track and field a year-round thing for you?
I do the winter season and the spring season. In the fall and the summer, I don’t do as much.
Who are some people you look up to?
My parents are always there for me. All of my teammates and coaches have been awesome and there to support me.
What kinds of hobbies do you have?
I like to ride horses. I help at a farm in Trumansburg and that’s fun. I also like being with my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment